Monday, March 15, 2010

Lower Body Workout

For January and February I had a lower body workout that was pretty thorough and took about an hour to complete(as well as an hour worth of upper and hour worth of core, for 3 workouts a week). Now that I've got some good strength progress, I'm bumping it up a notch to switch it up and bring in plyometric moves. I basically split the workout, and added a plyometric segment from the P90x program. I will continue to look for and add in/rotate more plyo moves. Each workout now takes about 30 minutes to complete, and I do a recovery level cardio workout afterwards. I now do two 30 minute workouts per week for each body section(lower, upper, core)--for 6 weight workouts total through the week. I will post the plans for upper and core in the next few days.

Lower Body #1
(bodyweight and plyometric)
The p90x plyo segment is here


1. TRX squats--hold straps(I use two dog leashes over a door, the leashes are on my side, the snaps are snapped together on the opposite side of the door)
squat all the way down, butt to floor, using arms to assist just enough as needed so knees don't hurt.
3x12 reps

2. Plyo Segment

3. TRX lunges--hold straps to assist full lunges, again the point is to aid the knees
4x20 reps, a set would be 20 right leg, then 20 left leg, and the next set would start 20 left leg then 20 right leg.

4. Plyo Segment

5. TRX Pistol Squat--this is an advanced squat, but I found it really helps strengthen whatever weakness it is that makes my knees achy. Again, hold the straps and support your weight enough to make a good pistol squat without knee complaint. For now I'm going down so my thigh is paralel to the floor. I'll work up to doing it like the guy in the vid(more butt to floor). It's very important to take this squat slowly, it's a difficult squat! but kicks your butt!
3x8



6. Plyo Segment

I did this for the first time today, the last plyo segment my legs had no more jump left in them, so I just did the squats, touching the floor(without the 180 jump).

Lower Body #2

These are done with weights, either the bar with plates or dumbbells as needed for the reps so the last few reps are a struggle.

Back squat
Dead lift
Plie squat
Lunge(back leg up on bench)
Butt Lift on fitness ball
Supermans on fitness ball(face down, hips on ball, hands on floor, legs straight out then raise to ceiling, this is like a back extention but "backwards"--you move your legs instead of upper body)
Inner thigh lift(balance weight plate on foot for added resistance)
Outer thigh lift(balance weight plate on foot for added resistance)

I am trying rotating through how many reps to see what happens, so here is the rotation. Again, I use however much weight I need to make the last rep or so a struggle.

Week one--3x12(the bodyweight stuff I'm shooting for 3x20)
Week two--3x8
Week three--3x4

No comments: